A simple salad adds fresh contrast to fried strips of pizza dough. This recipe first appeared in our May 2013 issue with Keith Pandolfi’s article The Gold of Naples.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 ball Naples-style pizza dough
- Fine semolina, for dusting
- 4 1⁄2 cups baby arugula
- Mix oil, oregano, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour enough canola oil into a 6-qt. saucepan to reach a depth of 2″. Heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Dust dough with semolina, and roll dough into a 4″ x 9″ rectangle about 1⁄3” thick. Cut dough into 1⁄2” x 2″ strips. Fry strips, until puffed and golden, 3-4 minutes. Drain; toss with tomatoes and their juices, arugula, salt, and pepper. Divide into bowls and serve.