(Baudroie en Feuilles de Figuier)
The fig leaves used in this recipe impart a delicate scent and flavor to the fish when wrapped and grilled. If you cannot find anglerfish, try substituting grouper, halibut, or sea bass.
- 4 (3/4″-thick) slices (1 1⁄2–2 lbs.) of fileted fish
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large fig leaves, stems removed, rinsed but undried
- Season the slices of fish with salt and pepper, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice on each side, and coat them with olive oil.
- Place each slice on a moist fig leaf, underside facing up, and fold the lobes of the leaf up and over the top of the fish. Place the packages, folded side down, on a double-faced flat fish grill and grill about 4″ above hot coals for 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve the packages directly from the grill, to be unwrapped by each guest at table. The moisture clinging to the leaves creates steam within the packages and prevents the exteriors from charring.