Baked eggs (sometimes called shirred eggs) are a simple, hearty breakfast or brunch, easily assembled when cooking for a crowd.
Yield: serves 2
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. cooked chopped spinach, squeezed to extract excess liquid
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 tomato
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 slice bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan
- 1⁄2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to broil and place a rack 10" from the heating element. Grease two 8-oz. gratin dishes with butter. To each dish, add 2 tbsp. spinach. Using your fingers, make 2 wells in each pile of spinach and crack 2 eggs into each dish.
- Cut tomato into 4 wedges and nestle 2 wedges on opposite sides of each dish. Pour 1 tbsp. heavy cream into each dish. Add half of the bacon to each dish.
- Sprinkle each dish with 1 tbsp. parmesan, 1⁄4 tsp. thyme, 1⁄8 tsp. nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to oven rack and broil until the cheese is golden brown, the whites of the eggs are set, and the yolks are still slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- Use tongs and a kitchen towel to transfer dishes to 2 serving plates lined with paper napkins to prevent the dishes from slipping.