Ben's Cognac Risotto
Ben Gambaro of the Missouri Baking Co. made this unorthodox but delicious risotto for us.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 15 small white mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and quartered
- 2⁄3 cup cognac
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 3⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add cognac, bring to a boil, and reduce liquid by half, 3-4 minutes. Lower heat to medium, add cream, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside. Bring stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp. butter with oil in a deep, heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with butter and oil. Add simmering stock, 1⁄2 cup at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Wait until liquid is almost completely absorbed before adding more. This process will take about 20 minutes. The rice should be just cooked and slightly chewy.
- Stir in mushroom mixture and parmigiano-reggiano. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with parsley.