Bitter Cream and Orange Biscuits
This recipe comes from the cookbook 80 Recettes de Biscuits.
Yield: makes 4 Dozen
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 lb. softened butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. finely grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350º. Whisk together sour cream, juice, and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Put butter into bowl of standing mixer fitted with a whisk. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add 1 cup of the sugar, the egg, and zest, and continue beating until smooth, about 30 seconds. Alternately fold flour and sour cream mixtures into butter until combined.
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Arrange tablespoon-size pieces of dough 2 1⁄2'' apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle each with some of the remaining sugar. Bake until edges are golden, 12-15 minutes, turning trays halfway through baking.