(Cassis Macedoine en Gelee)
When making this molded dessert, be sure to add the fruit only after the gelatin has partially set; if you add the berries at the beginning, they’ll sink or float instead of remaining suspended throughout.
- 6 cups black currant nectar or black cherry juice
- 3 (1⁄4-oz.) packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 (3-oz.) packet lemon-flavored gelatin
- 2 cups mixed raspberries and blackberries
- Crème fraîche or whipped cream
- Lightly oil a 9-cup fluted tube pan with canola oil. Heat 2 cups of the black currant nectar or black cherry juice in a saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Whisk in unflavored gelatin and lemon-flavored gelatin until dissolved.
- Stir in remaining 4 cups of black currant nectar or black cherry juice; ladle mixture into prepared mold. Chill until partially set, 1 1⁄2–2 hours.
- Scatter raspberries and blackberries over the black currant mixture; stir to distribute evenly. Chill until set, about 6 hours or overnight. Dip pan into a bowl of hot water for 5 seconds; invert salad onto a plate. Fill center with crème fraîche or whipped cream.