A bright combination of tart kumquats and salty green olives livens up plain chicken legs.
Braised Chicken with Kumquats and Green Olives
This unique dish livens up plain chicken legs with tartness from the kumquat and saltiness from the olives.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 3 lb. skin-on chicken legs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into ¼ inch half-rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup kumquats
- 1 cup green olives
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse and pat dry chicken legs; season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken to saucepan and cook, turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until skin is evenly browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- dd onion and garlic to saucepan and sauté over medium heat until transparent. Add wine and bay leaves and reduce over high heat until syrupy. Return the chicken to the saucepan, skin side up, add enough chicken broth to cover ⅔ of the chicken. Tuck the kumquats and olives into the broth, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 40 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over couscous and serve.