Broiled Miso-Marinated Black Cod
Chef Nobu Matsuhisa, of Matsuhisa in Los Angeles and Aspen and Nobu in New York City and London, uses shiromiso for this extremely delicate but intensely flavored dish.
Yield: serves 4
- 3⁄4 cup shiromiso
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sake
- 6 Tbsp. mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine)
- 1 lb. boneless sashimi-quality black cod
- Put shiromiso, sugar, sake, and mirin in top of a double boiler and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. Cook over simmering water over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Cut black cod into 8 equal pieces. Pour half of cooled miso marinade into a shallow dish, add cod, then pour remaining marinade on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
- Position a rack in center of oven about 8'' under broiler. Preheat broiler. Remove cod from marinade, arrange on a baking sheet, and broil until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Turn cod over and broil until fish flakes easily, about 3 minutes more.