Broiled Rainbow Trout with Hush Puppies
Butterflied freshwater fish is slathered in butter and spices before broiling in this recipe from Tulsa's White River Fish Market.
Yield: serves 2-4
FOR THE HUSH PUPPIES:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 (8 1/4-oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄2 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
FOR THE TROUT:
- 1⁄2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 tsp. celery seed
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 whole fresh rainbow trout (about 10 oz. each), butterflied
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Make the hush puppies: Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Pulse buttermilk, butter, hot sauce, cream-style corn, jalapeño, red pepper, onion, and black pepper in a food processor until almost smooth. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir together until combined. Cover batter with plastic wrap and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Pour enough oil to reach a depth of 2" in a 6-qt. saucepan. Heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Using a 1-oz. scoop, drop 2 tbsp. of batter into oil, making sure to not crowd the pan. Cook, flipping once, until golden and cooked through, 2–3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer hush puppies to paper towels to drain; season with salt.
- Make the fish: Heat broiler to high. Mix garlic, celery seed, oregano, paprika, sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Place fish side by side on a baking sheet and lay open, flesh side up. Spread butter over fish and season with spice mixture. Broil until golden and cooked through, 2–3 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and hush puppies.