Cà Nuong (Grilled Eggplant with Garlic and Scallions)
American globe eggplants may be substituted in this recipe—adjust the cooking time and the seasonings according to the size of the fruit.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 tbsp. Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 medium Japanese eggplants
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large scallion, trimmed and sliced into thin rounds
- Combine fish sauce and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the grill. Grill eggplants over a medium-hot fire until skin is blackened all over and flesh is soft, about 15 minutes. When eggplants are cool enough to handle, pull off stems, then peel and discard skins. Tear flesh into long strips, then cut strips in half crosswise and arrange on a serving platter.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over high heat until it starts to smoke. Remove skillet from heat and carefully add scallions. Pour hot scallion oil over eggplant, followed by the fish sauce and garlic. Serve as a side dish with steamed rice, if you like.