Author Monica Bhide uses both green and black cardamom to flavor this curry.
Cardamom Chicken Curry
Author Monica Bhide uses both green and black cardamom in this flavorful chicken curry.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt, plus more for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. Kashmiri chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 12 pods green cardamom, crushed
- 2 lb. skinless bone-in chicken thighs and legs
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 3 pods black cardamom
- 1 (2″) stick cinnamon
- 2 small yellow onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 (1″) piece ginger, peeled and minced, plus more julienned for garnish
- 3 tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 4 cups cooked rice, for serving
- Combine yogurt, chile powder, turmeric, salt, and 8 pods green cardamom in a large bowl; add chicken, mix, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. pot over high heat. Add remaining green cardamom along with peppercorns, black cardamom, and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Add onions, garlic, chiles, and ginger; cook, stirring and adding a few tablespoons of water as needed, until onions are browned, 12–15 minutes. Add chicken and marinade; cook, flipping chicken occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated, 20–30 minutes. Add 1⁄3 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened, 6–8 minutes. Season with salt and garnish with ginger, cilantro, and yogurt; serve with rice.