Author Monica Bhide uses both green and black cardamom to flavor this curry.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt, plus more for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. Kashmiri chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 12 pods green cardamom, crushed
- 2 lb. skinless bone-in chicken thighs and legs
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 3 pods black cardamom
- 1 (2") stick cinnamon
- 2 small yellow onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 (1") piece ginger, peeled and minced, plus more julienned for garnish
- 3 tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 4 cups cooked rice, for serving
Combine yogurt, chile powder, turmeric, salt, and 8 pods green cardamom in a large bowl; add chicken, mix, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Heat oil in a 6-qt. pot over high heat. Add remaining green cardamom along with peppercorns, black cardamom, and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Add onions, garlic, chiles, and ginger; cook, stirring and adding a few tablespoons of water as needed, until onions are browned, 12–15 minutes. Add chicken and marinade; cook, flipping chicken occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated, 20–30 minutes. Add 1⁄3 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened, 6–8 minutes. Season with salt and garnish with ginger, cilantro, and yogurt; serve with rice.