These glazed shortbreads get their spicy kick from ground cardamom and ginger.
Yield: makes 48 Pieces
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 11 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tbsp. golden syrup or dark corn syrup
- Heat oven to 375°. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish; set aside. Put 18 tbsp. butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a handheld mixer on medium until fluffy. Add flour, 3 tsp. ginger, 1 tsp. ground cardamom, baking powder, and 1 tsp. salt; mix until incorporated but still crumbly. Transfer mixture to reserved dish; press flat with your hands. Bake until shortbread is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a 1-qt. saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining butter, ginger, cardamom, and salt and the confectioners' sugar and syrup. Bring to a boil and pour over shortbread; cool. Cut into 2" rectangles.