Seining for small sweet creek shrimp is a favorite Lowcountry pastime, and happily results in this meal from Ben Moise’s The South Carolina Wildlife Cookbook (South Carolina Wild Life, 1981). Serve it with crisp bacon and a pot of steaming coffee.
- 2 lb. small creek shrimp
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. bacon fat
- 3 tbsp. flour
- Boil shrimp in 3 cups of water for 5 minutes. Cool shrimp, reserving liquid.
- Cook onions and pepper in bacon fat. Add flour and stir until mixture begins to turn brown.
- Pour in the shrimp liquid, and cook 2–3 minutes, stirring vigorously. Add shrimp, lower heat, simmer 4 minutes, and serve over hominy.