Chicken and Brown Rice with Chorizo
Meaty chicken thighs and smoky chorizo combine with brown rice to make a hearty one-pot meal.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 1⁄2 lb. bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb. smoked, dried chorizo, cut into 1"-thick slices
- 2 tbsp. roughly chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded, and cut into thick strips
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat oven to 400°. Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the chicken, skin side down, and cook, without turning, until the skin is a deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. (Pour off and discard any accumulated fat and juices.) Add the chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a plate, leaving the fat behind in the dutch oven. Set chorizo aside.
- Add oregano, red pepper, garlic, onion, and bay leaf to the dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is lightly browned and somewhat soft, about 8 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until surface is glossy, about 2 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil while stirring often, and reduce by half, about 1 minute. Nestle chicken, chorizo, and peppers into rice mixture. Pour in broth and season liquid to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Transfer to the oven and bake until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove the dish from oven, uncover, and gently stir in the peas with a fork. Let sit for 10 minutes, covered, to allow the flavors to meld.