Chicken with Cilantro (Murgi Dhuniya Patta Diya)
This Indian dish enhances the chicken with warm, exotic spices and fresh herbs.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- 5 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Pinch ground asafetida
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, trimmed and chopped, plus additional leaves for garnish
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 6 serrano chiles, seeded and halved
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk
- Place cloves, cardamom pods, and bay leaves in a spice grinder. Grind to a fine powder, transfer to a large bowl, and stir in cinnamon and coriander. Mix in yogurt and season with salt. Add chicken; turn to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Reserving marinade, remove chicken and shake off excess yogurt. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add asafetida, allow to sizzle for about 5 seconds, then increase heat to high. Add chicken and brown, turning frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Add marinade, cilantro, and sugar to pan. Season to taste with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add chiles and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, then reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter, garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve with rice.