Chicken with Cognac
(Pollo al Cognac)
This dish is adapted from a recipe we had at Hacienda Los Lingues, a centuries-old Chilean estate we discovered while researching comida criolla, the traditional cuisine of the Chilean rodeo.
- 1 (3 1⁄2-lb.) chicken, with liver
- 1 cup cognac
- 1 apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 400°. Rinse and quarter chicken. Heat cognac and 1⁄4 cup water in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add chicken, apple, and garlic. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Place chicken skin side up in a baking dish. Purée chicken liver, apple, and poaching liquid in a food processor, stir in cream, season with salt and pepper, and pour over chicken. Bake for 20 minutes. Top with peppers.