Nothing says “Valentine’s Day” quite like those candy hearts bearing romantic phrases: “Love You,” “Call Me,” and our favorite — “Be Mine.” But much of the time, the sentiment is sweeter than the candies’ chalky flavor — enter this cake, a large-scale conversation heart that allows us to indulge in Valentine’s Day sentiment while also appealing to a slightly more sophisticated palate. Putting the cake together is a simple matter of geometry: a square plus two half circles equals a perfect heart.
For the Cake
- 1 1⁄4 cups seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tbsp. Grand Marnier
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 (8") square chocolate cake, cooled and unfrosted
- 1 (8") circular chocolate cake, cooled and unfrosted
For the Fondant Icing
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. powdered gelatin
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. glycerin
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 15-20 drops food coloring in your choice of color (we used red)
- Food grade decorative paint in the color of your choosing (we used red)
NOTE: For the cake pictured, we used our recipe for Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake, but any standard cake recipe will do, chocolate or not.