Chocolate Cupcakes with Goat Cheese Frosting
Softened goat cheese adds a delightful tang to these sweet chocolate cupcakes.
Yield: makes 12 Cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 6 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 whole vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and scraped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one cupcake tray with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar until combined. Add hot coffee, oil and milk and mix until well combined. Add vanilla extract and eggs, beating well until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way full and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make frosting. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese and goat cheese together until fluffy. Add the confectioners sugar, 1⁄2 cup at a time, beating until a creamy consistency is reached. Add scraped vanilla seeds and beat on low speed until incorporated. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Spread frosting evenly on top of cooled cupcakes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.