Nusstaler (Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Cookies)
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 oz. toasted hazelnuts, very finely ground, plus whole raw hazelnuts to garnish
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp. natural cocoa powder
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 350°. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add egg and beat until smooth. Whisk together ground hazelnuts, flour, cocoa, and salt in a bowl; add to butter mixture; beat. Portion dough into 1″ balls; transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spaced 2″ apart. Place a whole hazelnut on top of each. Bake until cracked on top, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Dip bottom of each cookie in chocolate; chill until set.
NOTE: This recipe has been adjusted from the version that ran in the print edition of SAVEUR. The yield has been increased, and an egg has been added to the ingredients and instructions.