Chai Iced Tea
Saveur contributor Judy Haubert’s full-flavored chai has plenty of kick, thanks to the addition of black pepper, ginger, and cinnamon, and plenty of other warming spices. This moderately sweet recipe can be adjusted to your taste by either adding or subtracting a quarter cup of the honey or agave nectar.
- 6 cups unsweetened almond milk or whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup honey or agave syrup
- 8 small black tea bags (1 oz.), such as Lipton or PG Tips, paper and string removed
- 8 whole green cardamom pods, crushed
- 8 whole allspice, crushed
- 8 whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 (2″) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 whole nutmeg, crushed
- Combine milk, honey, tea, cardamom, allspice, peppercorns, cloves, star anise, cinnamon, vanilla bean and seeds, ginger, nutmeg, and 6 cups water in a 4-qt. saucepan; bring to a simmer, and remove from heat. Let mixture steep for about 10–15 minutes. Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl or pitcher. Serve hot or chilled over ice. Store in refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.