We love this herring in sandwich form, but Copenhagen’s Gammel Strand restaurant usually serves the bread and butter on the side.
Yield: serves 6
- 4 pickled herring filets
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 7 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 slices thin, buttered pumpernickel bread
- Minced onion
- Chopped fresh dill
- Cut herring filets into thirds crosswise, put in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Combine red wine vinegar, salt, black peppercorns, cloves, sugar, and 1⁄4 cup water in a small saucepan, then boil for 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Pour clove mixture over herring, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 24 hours. Cover each slice of pumpernickel bread with lettuce and 2 pieces of herring. Top with onion, capers, and chopped fresh dill.