If fresh cranberry beans are available, omit overnight soaking.
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 lb. plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups dried cranberry beans, soaked overnight
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until vegetables are soft, 15 minutes. Add garlic and 1 tbsp. each of parsley and basil; cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cook 10 minutes more, then add beans, 4 cups water, bay leaf, and sage. Simmer soup over medium heat (adding water if necessary) until beans are very tender, about 1 1⁄2 hours. Add remaining parsley and basil, season with salt and pepper, and serve.