Brandy adds depth and black peppercorns balance the tart flavor in this version of the classic cranberry sauce.
- 1 (14-oz.) package fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 (2") stick cinnamon, broken in half
Heat the cranberries, sugar, orange juice, and Grand Marnier in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon in a piece of cheesecloth and tie ends with kitchen twine; add spice bundle to cranberry mixture. Cook, stirring often, until cranberries soften and mixture thickens, 25–30 minutes.
Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let the flavors meld. Discard spice bundle and stir sauce before serving.