This recipe, from Everyday Greens: Home Cooking from Greens, the Celebrated Vegetarian Restaurant (Scribner, 2003) by Annie Somerville, is one of our favorite ways to prepare fresh favas.
- 1 1⁄2 lb. shelled fresh favas (4–5 cups) from 5–6 lbs. unshelled favas
- 4-6 tbsp. fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 15-20 thin slices crisp, toasted baguette (optional)
- 8-10 leaves fresh mint, sliced into thin ribbons (optional)
- 15-20 shavings pecorino (optional)