Tuscany-based food writer Lori Zimring De Mori suggested we make this dish only with fresh young favas whose skins are so thin and tender that they don’t need peeling. Look for smaller unblemished fava pods and snap a few open to see whether the beans are small and thin skinned.
- 1 1⁄2 – 2 lb. fresh young favas
- 6 oz. young Tuscan pecorino
- 1⁄4 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shell favas into a medium bowl. Break pecorino into small chunks into bowl with favas. Drizzle olive oil over favas and cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently toss salad, then divide among plates.