Fingerling Potatoes with Bacon
This simple dish of fingerling potatoes is best made with quality bacon.
Yield: serves 6
- 6 slices thick-cut lean bacon
- 2 lb. fingerling potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut 6 slices thick-cut lean bacon crosswise into 1⁄2"-thick pieces. Put bacon into a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet and gently cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is pink but not crisp, 35–40 minutes. Meanwhile, put 2 lbs. fingerling potatoes (cut larger potatoes in half crosswise, leaving smaller ones whole) into a medium pot.
- Add 2 large pinches salt, cover with cold water, and boil over medium-high heat until soft, 10–15 minutes. Drain well and add to skillet with bacon. Add 1 minced peeled garlic clove and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and cook about 5 minutes more.