The secret to this simple dish is to use the best quality bacon available.
Fingerling Potatoes with Bacon
This simple dish of fingerling potatoes is best made with quality bacon.
Yield: serves 6
- 6 slices thick-cut lean bacon
- 2 lb. fingerling potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut 6 slices thick-cut lean bacon crosswise into 1⁄2“-thick pieces. Put bacon into a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet and gently cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is pink but not crisp, 35–40 minutes. Meanwhile, put 2 lbs. fingerling potatoes (cut larger potatoes in half crosswise, leaving smaller ones whole) into a medium pot.
- Add 2 large pinches salt, cover with cold water, and boil over medium-high heat until soft, 10–15 minutes. Drain well and add to skillet with bacon. Add 1 minced peeled garlic clove and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and cook about 5 minutes more.