One of Hawaii's greatest culinary treasures is its wealth of seafood—varied, sometimes unfamiliar, and delicious. This is a dressed up version of a basic fish recipe. Ti leaves are considered the Hawaiian foil but may be hard to find; banana leaves or dried bamboo leaves can be substituted.
- 1 (3-lb.) whole red snapper, cleaned
- Salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Chinese sausage, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise, plus 2 tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 5 ti (or bamboo or banana) leaves