('Fumet' de Peix i Mariscos) This Catalonian fish stock has an intense flavor ideal for making sauces.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. white-fleshed fish heads (gills removed) and skeletons
- 3 lb. crustacean shells
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small leek, whites and pale green parts only, trimmed, washed, and thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add fish heads and skeletons and crustacean shells and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes. Add celery, leeks, tomatoes, onions, and carrots and cook, stirring often, until soft, 6–8 minutes. Add wine, 3 quarts water, garlic, and bay leaf and bring to a boil, skimming any foam that rises to the surface.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Strain stock through a colander, discarding solids, then strain again through a cheesecloth-lined sieve.