Hailing from coastal Spain, this recipe calls for a plethora of seafood. Ask your fishmonger for the freshest langoustines or head-on shrimp available. We ran the recipe with David Rosengarten's feature "The Art of Paella" (April 2010).
- 25 threads saffron, crushed (a heaping 1/4 tsp.)
- 1 lb. boneless monkfish filets, cut into 2" pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 langoustines or extra-large head-on shrimp in the shell
- 10 oz. cuttlefish or small squid, cleaned and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 4 medium tomatoes, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 7 cups fish broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice, preferably Valencia or bomba
- 1⁄2 lb. small clams, cleaned
See our step-by-step guide to making paella in the gallery, below.