This recipe is an adaptation of the one we received while visiting a small Alabama town during the heat of summer.
Fresh Peach Ice Cream
Nothing says summer like fresh peach ice cream.
Yield: makes About 1 Quart
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 large peach, pitted, skinned, and puréed
- 1⁄2 cup peach soda, preferably Nehi
- Pinch of salt
- Put sugar, evaporated milk, 1⁄2 cup of the whole milk, and eggs into a medium saucepan and whisk until well combined. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl and set aside to let cool.
- Once mixture has cooled, add puréed peach, peach soda, remaining whole milk, and a pinch of salt and stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer ice cream to a sealable freezer-safe container and freeze.