Also known as Lowcountry boil, this is a great stew to prepare before crab season ends.
Yield: serves A Crowd
- 1 stalk celery per person, chopped and tied in cheesecloth
- Seafood seasoning, such as Rex brand, which comes in small bags
- 1⁄4 lb. smoked sausage per person, cut in 2" pieces
- 2 ears corn per person
- 1 cleaned crab per person
- 1⁄2 lb. shrimp per person
- Bring a large amount of water to boil. (There should be roughly twice the volume of water as the volume of ingredients.) Add 1⁄4 cup salt per gallon of water, then add celery and seafood seasoning.
- Add sausage to pot and boil for 7 minutes. Then add corn and crabs and continue to boil for another 7 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 4 minutes, taking care not to overcook.
- Drain in a colander and serve in large bowl or tub—or bow to Lowcountry tradition and serve the stew spilled out on a newspaper-lined table.