Garlic and Dill Fava Bean Salad (Bagula)
Cumin and lemon bring a smoky and tart savoriness to this classic Egyptian bean dish from Aladdin’s Castle Cafe in Portland, Oregon. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2012 issue along with Dana Bowen’s story Food of the People.
- 1 lb. small dried fava beans, soaked overnight
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. minced parsley
- 3 tbsp. minced dill
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Drain beans and place in a 4-qt. saucepan, cover with water by 2″, and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, until tender, about 50 minutes.
- Drain beans, and transfer to a bowl; add oil, parsley, dill, cumin, garlic, juice, and salt and pepper; let sit for 30 minutes to meld flavors before serving.