Miso is traditionally combined with sesame seeds or walnuts to make a dressing for vegetables.
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 2 tbsp. mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine)
- 2 tbsp. shiromiso
- 1 tbsp. Japanese soy sauce
- 5 tbsp. dashi
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 lb. trimmed green beans
- Put walnuts in a skillet and toast, stirring, over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Grind walnuts with a mortar and pestle into a smooth paste. Drizzle in mirin. Add shiromiso, soy sauce, and 2 tbsp. of the dashi, continuing to grind after each addition.
- Sprinkle in sugar. Stir in remaining 3 tbsp. dashi and season to taste with salt.
- ring a pot of salted water to a boil; add green beans and cook until barely soft, 3–5 minutes. Drain beans, spread on a clean surface to cool, then cut in half crosswise. Toss with dressing just before serving.