Green Salad with Toasted Pita Bread
This tart, pungent salad is a favorite throughout Syria.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 small rounds pita bread
- 10 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3⁄4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 hearts romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Split open pita rounds. Cut each into wedges. Toss pita with 2 tbsp. olive oil, then place in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Rub a large salad bowl with garlic clove, then discard. Combine lemon juice and 8 tbsp. olive oil in a bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper and set aside. Place cucumber, lettuce, mint, and parsley in salad bowl. Add pita crisps and dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.