Unripe, green bananas pickled in a garlicky brine make a refreshing condiment alongside roast pork shoulder. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with Kathleen Squires’s story Island Holiday.
- 12 oz. green bananas, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 6 cloves garlic
- 6 small red onions, sliced thin
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups pitted green olives
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add bananas; cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; set aside. Boil oil, vinegar, salt, peppercorns, garlic, onions, and bay leaves in a 4-qt. saucepan over high heat until onions and garlic are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in boiled bananas, olives, and juice. Chill overnight to marry flavors.