A former chef at the Glacier Bay Country Inn in Gustavus, Alaska, created this salad to use up leftover halibut, but it can be made with salmon as well.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. halibut steak, about ¾" thick
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 scallions (white parts only), chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly coat a skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Sear halibut until browned, 3-5 minutes per side. Set aside to cool, then flake into large pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, celery, scallions, and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in flaked fish and adjust seasonings. Use as a sandwich filling or serve as a salad.