Hansreudi's Family Salad
We met chef Hansreudi Meier at his Swiss inn, the Jet d'Eau. He shared this recipe with us.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. garlicky beef sausage, such as knackwurst, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 6 wedges each
- 2 oz. emmentaler cheese, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 8 cornichons, diced
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
- Leaves from 1 head bibb lettuce, washed and dried
- Put vinegar, mustard, and egg yolk into a blender, cover, and blend on low speed for a few seconds. With motor still running, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream through hole in blender lid. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer dressing to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Put sausage, tomatoes, cheese, onions, cornichons, and 1⁄4 cup of the dressing into a large bowl and toss well. Adjust seasonings. Add eggs and more dressing, if you like, and gently toss again. (Save remaining dressing for another use. Dressing will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Shake well before using.)
- Divide lettuce leaves between 4 chilled plates and cover greens with dressed salad.