Hunter Lewis, SAVEUR Kitchen Director, prepares this flavorful tenderloin every Christmas Eve.
- 1 (3 1⁄2–5 lb.) fully trimmed beef tenderloin, butt end left intact
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 3 tbsp. prepared horseradish
Put beef on a sheet of plastic wrap; rub with oil. Sprinkle with salt; rub with mustard, then season with pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Wrap in plastic wrap; let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
Heat oven to 425˚. Place beef on a rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest end reads 115˚, about 35 minutes. Switch oven to broiler setting; broil until crusty, 5–10 minutes. (A thermometer inserted into thickest end should read 125˚) Let roast rest on a cutting board for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine sour cream and horseradish in a bowl to make a sauce. Thinly slice beef and serve with sauce.