Homemade Tomato Paste
Tomato paste lends depth and flavor to many dishes.
Yield: makes About 1 Cup
- 5 lb. plum tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tbsp.
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Heat oven to 300° . Roughly chop tomatoes. Heat 1⁄4 cup of the oil in a 12" skillet over high heat. Add tomatoes and season lightly with salt; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Pass the tomatoes through the finest plate of a food mill, pushing as much of the pulp through the sieve as possible, leaving the seeds behind.
- Rub a rimmed 13" x 18" baking sheet with remaining 2 tbsp. of oil; spread tomato purée evenly over sheet. Bake, using a spatula to turn the purée over on itself occasionally, until most of the water evaporates and the surface darkens, about 3 hours. Reduce heat to 250°; cook until thick and brick colored, 20–25 minutes.
- Store sealed in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month, or freeze, wrapped well in plastic wrap, for up to 6 months.