Hungarian Chilled Cherry Soup (Meggyleves)
This Hungarian dish is a dessert disguised as a soup.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 2 (24-oz.) jars of pitted sour cherries (preferably morellos), with their juice (Alternatively, you may use 1 3/4 lbs. fresh bing cherries, stemmed and pitted, or 1 1/2 lbs. frozen bing cherries with 2 3/4 cups sour or regular cherry juice.)
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 slice (1/2"-thick) lemon
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- Add cherries, with their juice, to a 4-quart saucepan. Add salt, cinnamon stick, and lemon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until cherries are soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and 1⁄4 cup of hot cherry liquid from pan. Remove pan from heat; stir in sour cream mixture. Chill the soup.