A healthy dose of celery seeds and sharp Dijon mustard add a kick to this mashed potato and egg salad from Kansas home cook Judy Swartz. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Salad Social.
- 2 lb. russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. celery seeds
- 5 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Boil potatoes in a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water; drain and chill. Peel and roughly chop potatoes; place in a large bowl. Add celery seeds, eggs, celery, onion, salt, and pepper. Using a potato masher, gently mash potatoes. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard.