President Lyndon B. Johnson’s wife, Lady Bird, used to share this classic cowboy chili recipe freely with her guests.
Lady Bird Johnson’s Pedernales Chili
President Lyndon B. Johnson's wife, Lady Bird, used to share this classic cowboy chili recipe freely with her guests.
Yield: makes 12 Cups
- 4 lb. chili meat (beef chuck ground through the chili plate of a meat grinder or cut into 1/4″ dice)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned whole tomatoes and their liquid
- 2-6 generous dashes of liquid hot sauce
- Sauté the meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until lightly colored. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour. Skim off the fat while cooking. Salt to taste.