Lemon Risotto (Risotto al Limone)
The hint of lemon can transform many dishes including this creamy risotto.
Yield: serves 8
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 scallion (white and light green parts only), finely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons (about 1 tbsp.)
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated parmigiano-reggiano (about 2 oz.)
- Julienned zest of 1 lemon, for garnish
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over high heat on a back burner. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp. of the butter in a heavy-duty medium pot over medium heat. Add scallions and cook until softened and light golden, about 2 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring constantly, until rice has absorbed most of the wine, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of the boiling water to rice, using a ladle, and cook, stirring constantly, until water has been absorbed, 2-3 minutes. Repeat this process 5-6 more times, until rice is al dente. (You'll have water left over.) Add cream and grated lemon zest and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in remaining butter and parmigiano-reggiano, and season to taste with salt. (If risotto seems too thick, add more water to adjust to desired consistency.)
- Spoon risotto onto plates and garnish with julienned lemon zest. Serve immediately.