Lemon Salad with Orange Zest
(Insalata di Limoni e Buccia di Arancia)
We learned to make this dish with mild, sweet ovale di sorrento lemons and serves it as an antipasto. If you find lemons too tart to eat that way, use the salad as a condiment for roasted meat or poultry.
- 2 large lemons (preferably ovale di sorrento, meyer, or other mild lemon)
- 1 small orange
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sprigs of mint
- Wash lemons and orange in hot water. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from orange in long strips, avoiding the pith. Julienne the zest, transfer to a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Cut each lemon into 1⁄2″-thick slices, discarding the ends. Remove seeds, then cut slices into 1⁄2″ cubes (without removing the rind). Add cubed lemons to the bowl of zest along with oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the salad to combine and serve garnished with sprigs of mint, if you like.