This recipe was developed for the esteemed lentils from Le Puy (which have been granted an appellation d'origine controlee by the French government), but any French-style lentil will do.
- 3 small beets, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 lb. lentilles du Puy, or other French-style green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Variation—Different vegetables and dressings can be used for this salad. For instance, roast 2 cups peeled small pearl onions for 20 minutes as in step 1 above. Dice 4 celery stalks. Add celery and lentils to onions with 3 cups water, cover, and continue roasting. Meanwhile, mix 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice with 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil in a small bowl. Stir in 1 minced peeled garlic clove and 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme. When lentils are tender and liquid has been absorbed, toss with dressing. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Continue to Next Story