(Crostini Scamorza e Accinghe)
Salt-packed anchovies are used for this dish, but if they are hard to find, oil-packed ones may be substituted.
- 4 anchovy filets
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 (1″-thick) pieces of crusty Italian bread
- 4 (1⁄2″-thick) slices of smoked mozzarella, (Scamorza)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Rinse 4 anchovy filets (if using salted ones) and pat dry. Warm anchovies and 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil together in small skillet over medium heat.
- Slice four 1″-thick pieces from loaf of Italian bread and arrange on a baking sheet. Put a 1⁄2″-thick slice of smoked mozzarella, (scamorza) on each piece of bread, top each with an anchovy, and spoon some of the oil over anchovies and cheese. Bake until cheese is just melted, about 10 minutes.