This loaf cake recipe can be updated with the changing seasons: Substitute dates for mango when they aren't available. This recipe first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along with Victoria Pesce Elliott's article Parcel-Post Food Gifts.
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 3⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 1⁄2 cup mango purée
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large very ripe mango, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4" dice (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan with oil, and dust with flour; set aside. Whisk flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl; make a well in center. Whisk oil, sugar, eggs and yolk, mango purée, and vanilla in a bowl; add to well; stir. Fold in mango, nuts, and coconut; pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into bread comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes.