Braising carrots slowly in butter, rather than steaming or boiling them, brings out their natural sweetness. Maple syrup adds a delicate glaze and a rich flavor.
What You Will Need
- 12 large carrots, peeled
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Cut carrots into 2″ lengths, then halve or quarter the pieces lengthwise so that all the carrots are in equal-size strips.
- Melt butter in a large heavy sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add carrots, cover, and braise, stirring occasionally, until carrots are fork-tender, 20–30 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, and stir in syrup and a squeeze of lemon juice. Cook for 2 minutes, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Add thyme and mix well.