Morels in Cream Sauce
Fresh morels are best in this dish, but dried morels may be used.
Yield: serves 4
- 35-40 small fresh morels
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. finely chopped, peeled shallots
- 1 tbsp. Madeira
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 pieces of white sandwich bread
- 1 tsp. arrowroot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Clean and trim morels. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add morels and shallots. Cook, stirring, until morels begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add madeira and heavy cream, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard crusts from bread. Toast bread, cut diagonally, and arrange on 4 small plates.
- Dissolve arrowroot in 1 tbsp. water in a small bowl. Stir mixture into mushroom sauce, season with salt and pepper, and simmer until sauce thickens, 1–2 minutes. Spoon over toast. Garnish with parsley and serve.