The key to this dish, based on one served at Da Paolino in Sorrento, is to use the freshest lemon leaves available (see Citrus Surprise).
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 4 (3″–4″-wide) and 1⁄2″-thick slices of fresh mozzarella
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large fresh lemon leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Meanwhile, season mozzarella with salt and pepper to taste. Sandwich each slice between two lemon leaves and grill until cheese just begins to lose its shape, about 45 seconds. Carefully turn over and grill for 45 seconds more.
- Divide between 2 plates, taking care to keep the cheese between the leaves. Drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil over the top and garnish each with half a lemon, if you like. Serve immediately.